Supportive Housing Management System (SHMS)
Kitsap Homes of Compassion (KHOC) management, using the principals developed for standards for quality management systems (ISO 9000), is developing its own management system to govern the KHOC organization, which it calls “Supportive Housing Management System (SHMS).”
A management system is a set of policies, processes and procedures used by an organization to ensure that it can fulfill the tasks required to achieve its objectives. These objectives cover many aspects of the organization’s operations including financial stewardship, safety, service quality, client/participant relationships, regulatory compliance and management of volunteers/staff.
A simplification of the main aspects of a management system is the 4-element “Plan, Do, Check, Act” approach. A complete management system covers every aspect of management. A management system should be subject to continuous improvement as the organization learns.
The goal of the Supportive Housing Management System is to assist KHOC fulfill its mission, which is to create hope and opportunity for homeless Kitsap County residents by providing affordable, permanent housing and other resources that promote self-sufficiency.
Elements of the Supportive Housing Management System include:
- Leadership Involvement & Responsibility
- Identification & Compliance with Regulations & Industry Standards for Supportive Housing
- Staff & Volunteer Selection, Placement & Competency Assurance
- Staff Involvement with the Management System
- Communication with Stakeholders (others peripherally impacted by the program)
- Identification & Assessment of potential failures/hazards & Risk Management
- Documentation, Records & Knowledge Management
- Documented Procedures, Rules, Standards & Practices
- Rental House Selection Process & Leasing Process
- Operational Readiness & Start-up of a New Home
- Routine Inspection, Maintenance & Management of the Homes
- Program Monitoring, Status and Management of Change (i.e. changing of staff/House Managers)
- Emergency Preparedness
- Incident Reporting & Investigation
- Audit, Assurance and Management System review & Intervention (Continual Improvement)
These elements and associated documentation will be accessible to KHOC staff on-line via a secure website via user login.